Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Acorn-shaped mini cornbread puddings

I've been aching to try out my new acorn cakelet pan ever since buying it at half price from Williams-Sonoma during boxing week.
In my first attempt, I made these mini cornbread puddings to accompany the curried zucchini soup I like to make when the mercury drops.
This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.
They're called mini cornbread puddings because they are more moist than your typical cornbread.

Ingredients: (Makes 24)
Butter, room temperature, for pan
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed and patted dry

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, place rack in upper third. Butter mini muffin pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, whisk together egg, sour cream, and corn. Mix with flour mixture just until incorporated.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan (or acorn cakelet pan if you have one). Bake until tops have browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes in pan. Serve, or cool completely and store at room temperature in an airtight container, up to 2 days.

My substitutions:
I'll admit my sour cream ran out, I only used 1 cup rather than 1.5 cups. I also opted to leave out the corn kernels because I was going for a more traditional cornbread and you know what? They texture was just perfect.

Will I make this again?
Definitely. Often I am looking for a little something to serve alongside soup or when I have guests, and this is a pretty addition to your table. It also freezes and stores well.

Grade:
Five stars out of five. This whole process took me mere minutes.

No comments: