Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chocolate-spice cupcakes

These spiced cupcakes are an adult version of a childhood treat.
The cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger elevate the simple taste of the familiar flavours of a a chocolate cupcake into something much more sophisticated and complex.

Children may wrinkle their nose at the addition of the candied ginger but adults will let it linger on their tongue.

This recipe is the first one I attempted from "Martha Stewart's Cupcakes," a book I purchased within days of its release, and I can already say it was worth every penny.

Not only is the batter fluffy and light, but it tastes even better the next day with your morning coffee. Best of all, the chocolate ganache will cover any imperfections on the cupcakes - my kind of recipe.

You can find it at this URL.

Substitutions:
I'm not 100 per cent certain, but I don't think the molasses I used was unsulfured. Also, I realized too late in the process that I only had enough molasses for half the amount the recipe called for - 1/3 cup. No matter, I added another 1/3 cup of honey.
I was worried the batter ended up too thin and watery, but that wasn't the case at all once I pulled these from the oven.

Would I make this again?
Yes, I would, perhaps as the dessert at an adult dinner party or a very fancy schmancy afternoon tea party.

Grade:
Four stars out of five. Yes, it was delicious but I can say the spice is an acquired taste. Whoever ate this cupcake told me they liked it, and finished every crumb on their plate, but I can see that some people may be turned off by the addition of ginger, molasses and some of those stronger flavours.

No comments: