Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chocolate-dipped marshmallows

I made these for a sweet table when I had some company over, and I knew there would be pint-sized guests who might avoid the pecan pie or fruit platter.

But I started second-guessing myself pretty much as soon as I started dipping the marshmallows into the semi-sweet chocolate. Would this seem cheesy? Amateur? In the end, it didn't really matter because there were only a few left on the platter at the end of the night!

Score one for simplicity! (Thank you, Real Simple magazine! You can find the recipe here.)

Substitutions: The recipe suggests chopped pistachios and crumbled graham crackers, but really you can pick whatever floats your boat. And if you have a drawer dedicated to baking and decorating like I do, it will be easy to find some sort of sparkles or sprinkles that will glitz these up in no time.

Would I make this again? To be honest, I'm not sure. Maybe the next time I have a kiddie-themed party because I think those are the only kinds of guests who really appreciated this cavity-causing confection.

Grade: Four stars out of five. Cute, yes. But not for everyone.

No comments: