Thursday, October 20, 2011

Martha Stewart's Pumpkin-Chocolate Tiramisu


If you love pumpkin, if you love chocolate, heck even if you just love cake, you will love this dessert.

I found this recipe after doing some Googling to find a way to use up my leftover pumpkin puree.

And I'm so very glad I took a chance on this revamp of the classic Italian dessert. Luscious, moist, delicate, the perfect combination of fall flavours. What can I say? I'm a big fan of this dessert.

It came together rather easily, especially because it's a no-bake recipe, as you will know if you've made tiramisu before. If you are a tiramisu purist, don't be turned off. The pumpkin flavour works in harmony with the chocolate and almond-flavoured liqueur despite any apprehensions you might have.

And if you follow my lead, and lightly brush the ladyfingers rather than soaking them until they fall apart, this tiramisu will hold its consistency rather nicely and keep its layers distinct and intact.  (Don't use up the cocoa mixture, you may have some liquid left over).

Otherwise, I fear you may run the risk of producing something that is more like a mousse than the shape and consistency of a tiramisu as you know it. You can find the recipe on the Martha Stewart website.


Substitutions: None, but I do wish I had mixed in some instant espresso powder in with the cocoa powder to add that coffee flavour. Granted, it may be a touch strong for some palates, but that's how I like my coffee - and my desserts.

Would I make the again? Oh yes. Maybe even for the upcoming holiday season. It's lovely to look at it, lovely to taste, and holds it's flavour and shape extremely well in the refrigerator even a couple of days after you first made it.

Grade: Five stars out of five. Not only is it a sophisticated way to end a dinner party but chances are good your guests have never tried anything like it.

No comments: